Monday 12 October 2020

Simple Autumn Sublime Evie Top Down Vneck Pullover

My sweater knitting mojo has continued into Autumn with my Sublime Evie "plume" (discontinued) version of Heidi Kirrmaier's "Simple Summer Tweed Top Down V-Neck Pullover" (rav only), started on 17 August and finished 2 October 2020. I have used this yarn before in an ice blue colour to knit a Findlay Sweater by Kate Heppell (Knit Now magazine issue 61) when I dressed my family up as emotions from Pixar's Inside Out for Halloween 2017 and I needed the perfect Sadness pullover. I loved knitting my Sadness jumper and I love wearing it, even though it's not a shade of blue that does me any favours, except for the fact that I have two small children, the smallest of whom always seems to be covered in something red, sticky, and probably tomato-based that, if it gets on me will never come out and it will definitely show. I don't particularly enjoy yelling "argh, no! don't touch me! Aah! What have you done?!?" at my children so I don't wear it very often.

When I saw that Sublime was discontinuing Evie I snapped up a SQ (sweater quantity) using what I bought for Findlay as a rough guide for quantity and gauge and I settled on SSTTDVn as a relaxed, comfy, slouchy pattern that I could just live in. I followed the instructions for a deeper v-neck and omitted the waist shaping and knit until I ran out of yarn. For top down jumpers, I usually split for the sleeves, finish the ball I'm knitting from and then go back to knit sleeves so I can just knit the body until I run out of yarn. And it is perfect. The magenta is one of my best colours, the yarn is so soft and cuddly, and the shape is a comfortable basic that I will wear until it falls apart.

I mentioned in my Abbyhill post that my left wrist was hurting too much to knit for a couple of weeks in September; I was on the 9th ball out of 10 of this. It was a particular frustration in a very painful and frustrating time, and was the first project I picked up again for a few stitches each day as my wrist started to feel better. I know it sounds super melodramatic to keep going on about an injury that 'only' kept me from knitting for two weeks, but it's not an injury that exists in a vaccuum - it had already happened for one week the month before and it is a chronic injury that has flared up off and on since I was 16 and it hurt in new and exciting excruciating ways, ways that felt like a future where the excruciating days would significantly outnumber that useable days. I've spent a lot of time thinking about what I want to make if I can only knit an hour or two a week instead of an hour or two a day and what will I do if I can't even knit that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment